Preparation for Sushi (Used in many rolls)
Measurements are for one order of Lobster Bomb (8 pieces) but can be used with many sushi rolls
- 1 Avocado
- 1 English Cucumber
- ½ cup of Uncooked Sushi Rice
- ½ cup of Water
- ½ teaspoon of Salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons of Rice Vinegar
- Large Sheets of Nori Seaweed
- ¼ teaspoon of Sesame Oil
- A Pinch of Panko (Japanese Bread Crumb)(OPTIONAL)
- Recommended: Vinyl Food-Grade Gloves
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups
- Rice Cooker
- Medium Sized Bowl
- Bamboo Mat
- Cooking Pan
- Completely peel one avocado.
- Cut in half and remove the pit.
- Cut into thin slices.
- If the cucumber has film wrap, remove the plastic and wash thoroughly.
- Cut off 1 inch from each end of the cucumber.
- Cut the cucumber into 3 equal segments.
- Then, cut each individual segment in half so that the segments remain the same size length, approximately 4 inches.
- Cut each segment into strips measuring approximately 1/8 inches squared by 4 inches.
NOTE: Measurements are for 1 Sushi Roll.
- Measure ½ a cup of uncooked sushi rice and rinse it approximately 3-4 times.
- Add the rice to the rice cooker.
- Add ½ a cup of water to the rice cooker.
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt to the rice cooker.
- Standard rice cookers already have a timer that will go off when the rice is done cooking. This could either be a button that pops up or a light that turns on/off, depending on the type of rice cooker you have. Please refer back to your rice cooker’s instruction manual to find out which type of cooker you have.
- After the rice cooker has indicated that the rice has finished cooking (a button, timer, or light), let the rice rest in the pot for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the rice from the rice cooker and transfer the rice to a bowl.
- Add about 1 ½ tablespoons of rice vinegar to the rice. Weave and mix thoroughly until all of the rice has been coated with the rice vinegar.
Sushi Roll Assembly
- Lay out the Nori seaweed with the glossy side on the cutting board and the matted side facing up.
- Dab about ¼ teaspoon of sesame oil onto your gloves to prevent the rice from sticking.
- Take about 1 cup of cooked sushi rice and cover roughly 2/3 of the Nori seaweed. Be sure to spread the rice evenly.
- Create a single row of cucumber by placing 4 pieces where the rice meets the section of the rice-less Nori seaweed.
- Place 2 strips of avocado over the cucumber.
- Sprinkle panko across the vegetables. (OPTIONAL)
- Take the bottom 1/3 of the rice-less Nori seaweed and begin rolling it over the vegetables until the sushi roll has a cylinder shape.
- With a bamboo mat, tighten the sushi roll so it is firm.
- Begin cutting the roll in half and continue to cut the roll in halves into even segments until you have 8 pieces.